We want to get real with you guys in this post. We live in a world where social media dominates EVERYTHING. Most everyone is constantly scrolling through Instagram seeing pictures of couples that look perfect. Before we met each other, we did the same thing (and still do). As much as we love social media, it can be pretty hard on your mental health. We know so many people (guilty) that compare themselves to people they see on their iPhone screen. STOP! Believe us when we say, nothing is perfect. That’s why people love social media so much. You’re able to show people the absolute best and leave out all of the “real” stuff. That’s why we try our best to show you guys everything. We always want to keep it real with you.
We’ve been together for over 4 years — crazy how time flies! We were lucky enough to have met our soul mate during college. We recently asked you guys for some topics you want us to touch on. Relationship tips and advice was one of the top contenders. That’s why we thought we would give you guys 10 relationship tips that help us. Of course, we aren’t experts and nowhere near perfect but we definitely have a few tips. All of which has helped us keep our relationship strong, especially in the age of social media.
10 RELATIONSHIP TIPS
- Live in the real world. We can’t say this enough. We live in a world dominated by social media. As much as we love Instagram, it doesn’t always show the truth. Don’t compare your relationship to others. This will not only strengthen your bond but make you a much happier person.
- Remember to laugh. This sounds simple but so many people forget about laughing with your significant other. Whether that means watching comedy movies or even pranking each other (Mike’s favorite thing to do to Alex), it’s important to laugh. This helps maintain a solid friendship. We are truly best friends and who doesn’t want to laugh with their bff!
- Separate work and play. This is super hard for us but we are well aware that it’s important to remember. If you have a 9-5, it’s important to turn off your work brain when you get home. Spend quality time with your significant other, go on a date, or watch a movie. Since our work doesn’t ever truly stop, we still try to shut things down at a certain time. We always make sure we spend quality time together that doesn’t involve any work.
- Apologize. Like we said, we are NOT perfect. We both make mistakes on a daily basis. We do things that bug the sh*t out of each other. But we always apologize when we’ve done something wrong. It’s so important to remember that REAL relationships fight. That’s not a bad thing. The bad part is not learning from the fight and not moving forward. We always make up and get over it. At the end of the day, we love each other and that’s what matters.
- Don’t stop dating. This is something that helps keep the spark alive in any relationship. Don’t become lazy. Remember how you felt when you first met. Plan dates, go to dinner and spend quality alone time together. This helps keep things fresh and exciting!
- Surprise each other. It’s all about the sweet gestures. Leaving surprise notes for each other, sending flowers, or even picking up their favorite treat. All of these are simple ways to show each other some extra love. We’ve been known to cover the mirror in post-it notes before bed to surprise the other person with a morning love note. This helps keep things exciting and fun.
- Say “I love you” on a daily basis. This may sound like a broken record but it’s true. Though there are many ways to show someone you love them, nothing beats the actual words. Say it like you mean it and every day. We always say “I love you” throughout the day. It’s a little reminder that we are thinking of each other.
- Find a common hobby. It’s great when you find something you both love to do outside of work. That’s how we started our blog. We wanted to do something creative to bring us together outside of the normal routine. Maybe it’s hiking, running, or even gardening — just as long as you’re together!
- Don’t minimize feelings. This is a big one. It goes along with the tip on fighting and making up. If one person is feeling a certain way, don’t minimize that feeling just because you don’t feel the same way. Try to understand where they are coming from – empathize. It’s important to validate feelings and work it out!
- Take care of yourself. You can’t be your best in a relationship if you don’t treat yourself right. That means exercise, healthy eating, and a healthy mind. Take time for yourself. A little “me” time never hurt anybody. We both live by these rules!
We hope a few of these tips resonate with you guys! Remember, love is the best thing in this world and we hope you all find it one day. Until next time…